Our team in Fast Student Services have helped many students to find the right affordable accommodation for them. We believe in the comfort of our students during their course of study and we tend to provide as many accommodation options as possible to suit our student needs.

Below are the available options that applicants may consider for their choice of accommodation:
  • Living at home:
  • Halls of residence: some universities have many places
  • Homestay
  • Unihomes (university-managed houses or flats)
  • Renting private accommodation
  • Information and support

To enquire about your accommodation options please contact our team on info@faststudentservices.com

Living at Home

If you are local, you may prefer to continue living at home. Students can still join in all the campus activities and will have plenty of chances to make new friends. This type of accommodation is used by home students who currently live in the UK and have family in the UK; there are other options below that international student may find in more suitable.

Halls of residents

Most universities provide single or multiple occupancy rooms for their students, usually at a cost. In UK universities these building are normally called “halls of residence” (commonly referred to as “halls”). Some universities have more than hundreds of places in halls of residence. They also offer different types of hall accommodation at reasonable prices. The majority of bedrooms in UK halls are single occupancy with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities, some universities also offer double rooms or flats for student couples and disabled students. Each hall has flats designated for mature students. Things to consider before choosing halls of residence are:

  • Often halls of accommodation are mixed gender.
  • All students share kitchen and communal areas and standard rooms share bath/shower facilities.
  • Rent includes insurance and utility bills.
  • There are laundry facilities on each site.
  • All rooms have internet access.
  • Mix of catered and self-catered halls available.

suite rooms are available in some universities which provide you with your own kitchen and bathroom.


Homestay is when you live in someone’s home. It allows you to rent a room from a local family to learn the local lifestyle as well as improve your language ability. Some universities run a homestay scheme that allows students to stay with a host family for anything from two weeks to six months, or even longer. This type of accommodation is most commonly used by students coming from outside the UK and looking to experience local life. Some homestay accommodations have a choice of:

Catered homestay, your homestay host will provide you with breakfast or cooked evening meals or a combination of both. Meals are provided seven days a week. Students also have access to the kitchen to make their own drinks and snacks, which you need to provide yourself.

Self-catered homestay, you rent a room in the host’s home but you are responsible for buying your own food and preparing your own meals. Your host will provide you with storage space in a kitchen and space in the fridge and cooking facility.

Unihomes (university-managed houses or flats)

Unihomes are privately owned houses and flats that are managed for the owners by the university. You sign a contract for the room with the university and pay your rent directly to university. Rents are competitive and it depends on the actual location of properties. The main benefit of this scheme is that unlike when you rent through letting agents, universities do not ask for rental guarantors and no damage deposit is required. Students can be sure that all properties meet high standards of safety and are regularly visited by university staff.

Private accommodation

The majority of first year students and the majority of returning students rent private accommodation. Renting privately gives you genuine independence, letting you choose where you want to live and who you want to live with. Students must consider their options carefully and spend some time thinking and researching:

Who to live with?

There are plenty of other people who would like to rent privately and are looking for someone like you. Some universities may offer an online students forum that works as a message board which enables students to chat and find potential flatmates. It is important to choose people with a similar lifestyle to you to agree on a location you are all happy with and be able to afford a similar rent.

What costs are involved?

The cost of rented accommodation will depend on chosen location, facilities and the number of tenants sharing.


Home Costs 2013-2014
Brighton Average costs
Studio Flat From £140 per week
2-bed flat From £190 per week
3-bed flat From £270 per week
London (Zone 1-2) Average costs
Studio Flat From £220 per week
2-bed flat From £400 per week
3-bed flat From £530 per week
London (Zone 3-4) Average costs
Studio Flat From £150 per week
2-bed flat From £300 per week
3-bed flat From £420 per week


Over the above the rent, students should also budget for:
  • Administration fees (can be up to £200 per person – and sometimes more): agencies and private landlords who do not advertise through student forum may charge an administration fee. This charge is to cover the costs involved in setting up the tenancy agreement, inventory, checking references and any other correspondence.
  • • A deposit (can be the equivalent of 6 weeks rent), payable to your landlord/letting agent in advance: you will normally also have to pay a damage or security deposit. You will get your deposit back if you a) meet the terms of your tenancy agreement b) do not damage the property c) pay your rent and bills.
  • Heating, lighting and other utilities
  • Contents insurance for your belongings.
  • A TV licence
  • Food and travel costs
  • How tenancy agreement work?

    A tenancy agreement is a contract between you and your landlord. It may be written or oral. The tenancy agreement gives certain rights to both you and your landlord, for example, your right to occupy the accommodation and your landlord’s right to receive rent for letting the accommodation. Once you have signed the contract it may not be that easy to get out of it, so make sure you are happy with it. Remember, a tenancy agreement is a legally binding contract.

2010-2018 Fast Student Services (FSS). All rights reserved.